Thursday, June 14, 2012

The Data Plate Confusion

Even though there is a vast amount of Piper Cub information out in the ether, some details are just not documented. I quickly learned this when I received the packet of information from Paul Babcock with my STC.

I had sent Paul copies of the documents that he needed in order to legally issue his Supplemental Type Certificate that allowed for different engines and a higher gross weight. The only items he required was a copy of the airworthiness certificate and a copy of my application for N number registration with the FAA. I also sent him copies of my old registration documents, some log entries, and included a picture of my data plate just for fun.

The Data plate for an aircraft in analogous to a VIN number on a car. It is the tiny piece of stamped metal that makes the vehicle conform to the legal definition of what you are claiming it is. It's been said many times before, that with a full set of log books, a bill of sale and data plate, you can build a whole new aircraft. Without the data plate an aircraft is just a full scale model and not a legal vehicle is the eyes of the FAA. That is why I was completely dismayed by a tiny post it note that was attached to my paper work by Paul Babcock.

It read: "Ed, I noticed your data plate - Prewar cubs used an oval data plate, Paul"

I felt my face flush as I read this little note. If what he was saying was true, I had just spent a considerable amount of money on (at best) a paperwork nightmare, or (at worst) a large assortment of Piper Cub parts. I quickly tore into the net looking for any information I could find on Piper Cub data plates. I looked for pictures and read discussion forums, and the conses I found was that was NO CONSENSUS.... At this point I reached out to John Scott.

John Scott is on every cub forum I have found so far. Usually going by the name LONGWINGLOVER, you will hear that name used in revered tones. It usually comes late in argument that has been heating up between forum members, until someone says, "You need to run this by John". Which was exactly what I was about to do.

It would seem with the popularity of this little airplane that there must be millions of them in the air, but unfortunately the truth is far from perception. Though they were once the most common airplane in the sky, today the numbers of true survivors are dwindling. There are several companies building new versions such as Legend Cubs and WagAero Cubbys, but the real thing is in finite supply. So with that knowledge, I shouldn't have bee surprised when after asking for Johns Scott's phone number and giving him a call, he stopped me about 20 minutes into the conversation to ask; "Are you the guy who just drove out Georgia to pick up a trailer and then up North Carolina to buy a cub?"...

Have you ever had the feeling of being watched? It was like that. I'm a pretty private guy (accept for writing a blog) and did not think anyone but my immediate family knew I had just made the trip. After stammering for a bit and a hard swallow I asked him how he knew that. What I found out is that we had talked a few weeks earlier about a different Cub that John had for sale. We had talked through what he was selling and the project I ended up buying and it was decided that I just couldn't afford his. It is beautiful and still up for grabs on Barnstormer is you want one too.

So after the realization that I already knew John sank in, we settled down and began discussing the problem at hand. John believed that I had the correct data plate and was pretty sure that Piper began using the rectangular plates at the start of 1941. So there we had it, one vote for Oval and and for Rectangular... I did the only thing I could think of at the time. I e-mailed the Cub doctor.

Clyde Smith is world renowned for his knowledge of  Piper airplanes. He is affectionately know as the cubdoctor and still lives in Lock Haven where my aircraft was built 71 years ago. He worked for Piper and rescued much of the records on these aircraft and even some of the tooling that was used to build them. I believe he even has in his possession the very machine that stamped the data plates for the cubs at the factory. I felt that surely Clyde would be able to break the tie and answer definitively which data plate style was correct. Was it the Pre War Oval plate or the Wartime and after Rectangular plate. Oval would mean I had screwed up big time and Rectangular meant I had an all original rare bird that was a time capsule and a treasure.

So what was the set in stone answer I received from Clyde? How did he prove it beyond a shadow of a doubt? Well..... This is reply I got from Clyde....

"Ed,

Probably went to the rectangular plate, on the J-3, sometime in 1941 or 42. I can't remember what yours was now.

Regards...Clyde"

So there you have it. Not even the three foremost experts I could find could settle the question of which plate I should have in my possession to make my plane legal. I have to say that from my experience so far, this is not an uncommon problem. So much of what was known is now lost. It was because of this very question that I decided to put all I know and learn while building this Cub down for all to see. I wanted there to be a record of at least one one J-3 that would written down for posterity. I'm hoping in another 70 years someone reads this as they rebuild NC35447 yet again...




Oh, so you are still wondering about the Data Plate? So was I.

I went back to the man who started all this with his tiny round post it note, and I gave my finding s to Paul Babcock. One Oval, One Rectangular, and one I don't remember. But all was not lost. The FAA in all its anal retentive glory required Paul to keep a complete record of every person and plane that his STC was sold to. He was kind enough to help me find a number of 1941 cub owners who I asked the simple question of Oval or rectangular. I even found another cub that was built the same day... It turns out that the definitive answer is that yes, they did switch to the rectangular plate at the beginning of the calendar year in 1941, and I do own a treasure....

1 comment:

  1. For your information and others who read your interesting article.........
    Nostalgic Reflections of Veradale, Washington 509-226-3522 makes athentic deep acid etched data plates for antique vehicles. They have several different styles of data plates, and a more athentic oval data plate than you show here. Check their web site www.NostalgicReflections.com They just have a small sampling of items listed so you can see what all they can do. Their address is: Nostalgic Reflections, P.O. Box 350, Veradale, Washington 99037 They have been in this business for 41 years.

    ReplyDelete